Who Can Diagnose Chronic Dry Eye?

The first step in getting help for Chronic Dry Eye (CDE) is scheduling a visit to the eye doctor to get a Chronic Dry Eye medical exam.

Is the right “eye doctor” for you to see an optometrist or an ophthalmologist? When it comes to Chronic Dry Eye disease, the answer is either one.

Ophthalmologists and optometrists are both eye doctors, offering eye-related medical services:

  • Ophthalmologists are medical doctors (MDs) or osteopathic doctors (DOs) who specialize in the eye. They perform eye exams, diagnose and treat eye diseases and conditions, prescribe medication, perform surgery, and may also write prescriptions for eyeglasses and contact lenses
  • Optometrists are doctors of optometry (ODs) and healthcare professionals for the eye. They examine eyes for both vision and health problems, prescribe medications, eyeglasses, and contact lenses. They are also state-licensed to examine, diagnose, treat, and manage diseases of the eye

If you have dry eyes, either an optometrist or an ophthalmologist can give you a medical exam for Chronic Dry Eye disease, make the diagnosis, and provide medical treatment.