When Should You Talk to Your Eye Doctor About Your Symptoms?

If you're still uncertain about seeing an eye doctor about your dry eyes, take the questionnaire eye doctors use to help assess Chronic Dry Eye (CDE) disease—the Dry Eye Ocular Surface Disease Index (OSDI©)—and review your results with your eye doctor.

You should seek medical attention now if your dry eyes are experiencing any of the following:

  • Dryness, itching, burning, or stinging
  • Watering eyes
  • A gritty or sandy sensation/feeling like something is in your eye
  • Blurry vision or sensitivity to light
  • Problems wearing contact lenses
  • Problems with daily activities, such as reading, driving at night, watching TV, or working on the computer
  • More frequent symptoms than usual, causing frequent use of artificial tears
  • Worse/more severe symptoms than usual, and using artificial tears isn’t enough

And, remember, Chronic Dry Eye disease may have more serious consequences for your eyes. It may damage the front surface of the eye, increase the risk of eye infection, and affect your vision.

So, it’s important to see an optometrist or ophthalmologist right away for a Chronic Dry Eye medical exam and bring your Dry Eye OSDI© results with you. Only your eye doctor can determine if you have Chronic Dry Eye. Make sure your doctor tells you exactly what dry eye condition you have and what your options are.